Health and Wellness in Wilmington: How to Improve Your Immune System
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, immune health is on everyone’s mind.
Those who have managed to stay well are looking for ways to improve their health and wellness.
One way to do this is to reduce your stress. Learning how stress impacts immune health is an essential first step in learning how you can increase your overall health and wellness right away.
How Stress Impacts Your Immune System
Chronic stress can suppress immune health. Whenever you’re stressed, your brain goes into a fight or flight response. It tells your adrenal glands to release adrenaline and cortisol. How do these hormones impact your body?
- Adrenaline: Increases heart rate, elevates blood pressure
- Cortisol: Increases blood sugar rates, suppresses digestive and reproductive systems, alters the immune system, reduces your ability to control your mood
Typically, when a threat has passed, the body returns to its normal state. However, when you’re under constant stress, your body remains in the fight or flight mode. Recent studies found that chronic stress can:
- Reduce the immune system’s response to pathogens
- Increase inflammation in the body
- Lead to the development of chronic disease
How to Improve Your Immune Health and Overall Wellness
Thankfully, there are steps you can take to improve your immune system and increase your health and wellness.
1. Find Ways to Reduce Stress
- Get a Chiropractic Adjustment
- Practice mindfulness
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid nicotine
- Get a relaxing massage
- Keep a stress diary
- Talk to a therapist
2. Exercise Daily
It is recommended that you get 20 minutes a day where you elevate your heart rate to 100:
- Walk at a "spirited" pace
- Stepper machine
- Tai Chi
3. Eat a Nutrient-Dense Diet
- High in vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- Low in salt, sugar, highly processed foods, and alcohol
4. Get Adequate Rest
Seven to nine hours of sleep appears to be best for immune health.
How Your Wilmington Chiropractor Can Help
Dr. Kenneth de Groot, D.C., has 38 years of chiropractic experience. He’s helped his patients get out of pain and live healthier lives. He can do the same for you, too.
By keeping your spine in proper alignment, you ensure the proper flow of nutrient- and oxygen-rich blood, lymph, and cerebrospinal fluid. That, in turn, can promote better health and wellness and help to improve your immune health.
Would you like to improve your overall health and wellness? We can help! Contact us at 302-475-5600 to schedule a consultation.